Tuesday 13 September 2011

I am thankful

Everyday we are lost in our day to day activities, and we get lost in a whirlpool of stress and negativity, some of which arise from us, and the rest are contributed by people we come across. Stress and negativity are highly contagious - they are like poison injected into the blood. People who are always calm and at peace with themselves and the world, people who are "seasoned" to be calm always are immune to it. But for the rest of us, it drains us physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually....


We may be in the peak of our lives, with everything going just the way it should - a good and fulfilling job on hand, a nice loving family to go back to, friends who stand by us.... and yet when we face the world, we are filled with negativity, which stems mostly from being in contact with people who are negative themselves. This is like a viscious cycle. We cant stay away from people who are negative: the world is full of them.

There are many ways to combat negativity. But I find that the simplest way to start overcoming it is to count your blessings: start listing out the reasons for which you feel blessed, and thank the Lord for everything that He has given you.

Every morning, I start my day on this positive note: I sit with my eyes closed and thank God for:
* giving me this healthy body that allows me to do my work on my own
* giving me a wonderful family
* giving me this beautiful house to live in
* giving me this capacity to see the joy of life
* giving me this blessing of being able to express myself
* giving me this blessing of spiritual inclination...
and so on...

Actually, the list is endless. We can only thank God for so many things. Everytime I sit for this little exercise, I make sure I "feel" what I say mentally. This is not like repeating a mantra. When I thank Him for giving me this healthy body, I "feel" my good health and the benefits thereof; when I thank Him for giving me a wonderful family, I think of my wonderful husband and sweet little daughter, around whom my life revolves. My life would have been so empty and meaningless without them.

In the beginning of our day, when we thank God for the gifts He has endowed us with, we inadvertantly make a list of all the good things we have in life. It makes us feel life is worth living. We start off on a positive note and repel all negativity. Whenever any negativity pops up, we become aware of it and remember that life is more positive than negative.

No comments:

Post a Comment