Wednesday 25 May 2011

Time is the best healer.

We have all heard this saying. The same was uttered by the Supreme Lord many many years ago: "O son of Kunti, happiness and distress are like the cycle of summer and winter seasons. They are temporary and we must tolerate them without being disturbed."


Now this is something that I really do apply in life. Whenever I am in severe stress or difficulty, I tell myself "This too will pass." Nothing ever remains the same. This problem, this pain, this difficulty is not going to last forever. Things will change and heal over time. We only need to introspect and realize this even as we are facing a difficulty.

There are times when I am in high spirits. Everything is going my way. Everything is right with the world. And again I tell myself "This too will pass." We tend to hang on to these precious moments and even cling to them, hoping they will last forever, or atleast longer. But it takes a lot of levelheadedness and detachment to "accept" that this is another state. And move on.

The Lord compares the happiness and sorrows of life to the cycle of the seasons. Indeed Spring doesn't last forever. Nor do the other seasons. And yet, life goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment